Thursday, July 17, 2014

Tonight I am in one of 'those' moods.  You know, the kind of mood where you get this unusually hyper feeling in the evening and start cleaning everything in sight like a mad woman.  Don't disturb me, I'm in the zone. Yeah... one of those.

I used to be such a night owl!  Going to bed at midnight was early for me back in my college & post college days.  I remember always being wide awake super late at night back in college, even when I had to get up super early for nursing clinicals.  After I graduated, I worked night shift, so that in no way encouraged me to change my ways.  Once I got married, I still worked 7a.m. to 7 p.m., three days a week.  My hubby was in dental school at the time and had class or clinic all day every day during the week for the most part.  On the rare occasion he was not studying and I was not working, we got to be home together in the evening.  It did not matter how hard I tried not to, I used to get super energized around 9 or 10 p.m. and would clean like a mad woman, grocery shop, write letters/cards, paint my nails.... all sorts of fun stuff. It would drive Corey crazy that just as he was ready to go to bed, I would get a second wind. And if we went to bed at the same time, I would always want to have an in-depth, deep conversation and all he wanted was to go to sleep!  I don't know what happened, but about 2 years after we got married I suddenly started being ready for bed at like 9:30! I guess it's called getting old. Well, I suppose it probably also had a lot to do with the fact that for the first time in my life I was working an 8-5 schedule, 5 days a week rather than the graveyard shift on differing days every week. Suddenly my life was running on a way more normal schedule than anything I had known in a very long time. Corey was quite fond of my newfound evening sleepiness.  I think He was secretly praising God that I finally came around!

So earlier tonight, as I was taking the sheets off the bed to throw them in the wash machine, I got to thinking about how long it had been since I had vacuumed the mattress.  Like maybe once in the past 2 or 3 years.... maybe. It was time! So I went to grab the box of baking soda to sprinkle on there, and after I did, I decided to also sprinkle it all over our couches, down our garbage disposal and on the dog.  Yes that really happened. I'm thinking she might be a little traumatized, but she'll recover. At least she smells good!

So since my house is spotless, I am still wide awake and my hubby is in bed snoring (just like old times,) I decided I would sit down and tell you some of my favorite uses for baking soda!  This is my way of making the world a better place today.  Or at least a less smelly place.

1. Clean and deodorize your mattress and furniture:  Just sprinkle baking soda all over your mattress and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.  Then vacuum the entire mattress using the upholstery attachment on your vacuum. This will remove dust mites, dead skin cells and odors.  Gross!  It is recommended that you do this every 6 months or every time you rotate your mattress. 

2. Clean your garbage disposal:  Run hot water for a minute.  Turn off water and dump 1/4 cup baking soda down the drain.  Wait 10-15 minutes.  Pour 1 cup of vinegar in the drain.  (It will bubble).  Then run hot water for a minute and turn on disposal for a few seconds.  So fresh and so clean!

3. Exfoliate your face and body:  I really love this one!  Dump some baking soda in a plastic container with a lid and put it in the shower.  Once or twice a week, put some baking soda in your hand and mix with a small amount of water to make a paste.  Scrub your face for 30 seconds and rinse off.  You will be amazed at how soft it feels!  Do the same thing with your whole body if you'd like to feel like you have baby skin.

4. Laundry: Add 1/2 cup to laundry loads to freshen and brighten.  Just put it right in with the clothes.  Still use detergent like normal as well.  This is especially good for towels and sheets, but can be used with anything. 

5. Clean fruits and veggies:  Sprinkle on fresh produce and rub to get all that dirt and gunk off before eating.

6. Deodorize the dog:  I have to say, tonight was the first time I tried this one and although I laughed hysterically while I was doing it, it really did work!  She was starting to smell like she could use a bath and it is not quite time yet.... but a little baking soda "shower" took care of that!  Just sprinkle on, rub all over and then brush.  Then please, by all means... give the poor dog a treat!! Here is poor little Mocha feeling embarassed after I put baking soda all over her.  Corey says he hopes I won't do the same to him next time he smells.  Don't put it past me, babe!  



7. Freshen carpet:  Sprinkle baking soda all over your carpets, let sit for 15 minutes and then vacuum.

8. Sweet or unsweet tea:  add a pinch of baking soda to the pitcher before adding the boiling water.  Let steep for 15 minutes. Add sugar if desired.  The baking soda makes the tea really smooth and takes away any bitterness or cloudiness because it neutralizes the tannins in the tea.  Who wants bitter, cloudy tea?  Ha ha.  But seriously.

9. Hamper:  sprinkle at the bottom of your hamper or on the clothes in the hamper to keep the hamper smelling fresh until laundry day.

10. Remove oil and products from hair:  Put shampoo in your hand and then add a small amount of baking soda to it and lather in your hair. Rinse out and your hair will feel amazing!

So there you have it folks... the reasons why I love what my husband calls 'white magic!' He likes to make fun of my love of cleaning & germaphobe ways.  One more thing, even though it doesn't include baking soda.  This is the all purpose cleaner I use and love.  Add 2/3 cup water, 2/3 vinegar, 2/3 cup alcohol and 3 drops dish soap to a spray bottle and shake.  I clean my kitchen counters with this almost daily.  It smells so fresh and lasts a long time.  Plus it is natural and non toxic, which I am really into lately.  On that note, I've been told I am turning into a 'hipster.'  This took me by surprise at first but the more I think about it, I guess it is probably true.  Fine by me! Sometimes I wonder how our Grandma's did it without all the fancy cleaners and cleaning tools we have these days.  I guess they just stuck with good ole' baking soda, vinegar and peroxide and got along just fine. I like keeping it as old school as possible.  It's cheaper, easier, safer and it makes me feel like Grandma.  I like that :)  But don't you dare try to take my Dyson.  That I will NOT give up!



Happy cleaning!!





No comments:

Post a Comment