Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful..." 

These words are so true right now!  It is an extremely gloomy day, there are pellets of freezing rain hitting my windows, but I am wrapped up in a blanket sitting on the floor next to my fireplace.  I'm so glad to be in here and not out there!  Besides Christmas and all of its awesomeness, I have to really try hard to find the joys of winter.  But I can tell you that my fireplace definitely is one of them!  And snow is fantastic... for like a week ...and then I'm ready for it to go away.  I really dislike being cold and being cooped up inside for months at a time, which is why I'm so thankful Christmas falls at this time in the year because it just makes winter so much better!  The Christmas lights, Christmas music, Christmas cards, Christmas decorations, Christmas movies, Christmas parties... I love it all!  

And then there are all those delicious Christmas goodies!  Most people who know me know that I really like to bake.  And then I love to take what I've made and give it to people.  It seems like I am always making something for someone. I personally think food should be a love language.  Making and giving food is such a fun & tangible way to show you care and to make someone's day! And I have found it to be the case whenever I give anything to anyone, I end up being blessed just as much or more than the recipient.  On the other hand, it is not very much fun to bake for yourself or for your husband who really doesn't care much for sweets.  You end up A) eating it all by yourself and feeling miserable or B) he greets your hours of time spent baking with a big fat "no thanks."   That is until I make chocolate dipped peanut butter ritz cracker sandwiches!  Side note: How can these amazingly delicious things not have a better name?  Corey thinks 'Corey Crack' is pretty fitting :) You should see his face light up when I surprise him with a fresh batch of these babies!  He will literally eat 10 of them at a time.  Think cookie monster. So today I thought I would share this extremely easy recipe with you all so you can treat your husband, friends, family and yourself with them sometime!  Warning: highly addictive!

What you will need:

Ritz Crackers
Creamy peanut butter
Chocolate almond bark

First, begin by assembling the sandwiches.  Using a butter knife, spread some peanut butter onto a ritz cracker.  Don't be stingy!  Then place another ritz cracker on top.  Repeat until you have as many sandwiches as you want to make at one time.  I have found that one package of almond bark will get you through about 3 sleeves of crackers.  So if you plan to make the whole box you may want to grab 2 packages of almond bark.  Once you are done putting the crackers and peanut butter together, place the almond bark in a saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring frequently.  Once it is melted, use a fork to dip the sandwiches in the chocolate.  Flip over until completely coated and then transfer to a sheet of wax paper.  Continue in the same way with the rest of them.  Cool completely. Store in an airtight container and watch them disappear before your eyes!





Look at that sheer joy on his face!!  I'm so glad there is at least one sweet thing I can make that he enjoys and appreciates :)  

I want to share one more recipe with you because it is just sooo yummy this time of year!  It is my pumpkin chocolate chip bread.  Friends and family have tested and approved this bread and some have been known to even beg me for it from time to time.  Although there are a few more ingredients needed, this recipe is also very easy... because things don't always have to be complicated to be good! You'll just have to trust me on this one.

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.  In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Pour into 2 greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans or 4 mini loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  You're going to love how amazing this bread makes your house smell!  Keep a loaf for your family and give the other to someone you love. P.S. if you are making mini loaves, take 10-15 minutes off the baking time.  

One last thing!  I got to host my second annual cookie exchange party this past Saturday.  I had so much fun hanging out with my girlfriends, drinking hot cocoa and cider and decorating sugar cookies!  You should see the awesome assortment of Christmas goodies we each ended up with when it was all said and done.  I'm loving this new tradition.  And the ugly sweaters were the icing on the cake... I mean cookies! 




Have yourself a merry little Christmas!  Let your heart be light.  Love ~ Chelsey 



No comments:

Post a Comment