Sunday, March 2, 2014

Chandra is an awesome girl who I met through a married couples church group that we were a part of.  She and her husband Jordan are such a sweet couple and I look forward to continuing to get to know them more and more!  Their story is so inspiring. Enjoy!  


First please give a brief history of your infertility journey such as how long you tried, surgeries/procedures you went through, medications, miscarriages, etc.

It's been a while since I have sat down and reflected upon this particular season in my life.  I'll start with a somewhat brief history of my experience with infertility.

My husband (Jordan) and I got married in May 2007 and knew right away that we wanted children, so we started trying immediately.  That July I went to the doctor because I have a history of irregular periods (sometimes I went 8 months without one), and my doctor told me when I was 14 that I would have a hard time getting pregnant.  She told me I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and started me on Metformin.  Two months later I started Clomid.  (That seems like so long ago).  After 6 months of Clomid and no ovulation I was sent to Arkansas Fertililty and Gynecology in Little Rock (we lived in Clarksville at the time.)  It quickly became too expensive and I was getting no where so we decided to take a short break.
I was on Clomid off/on for 4 years.  I took Metformin and steroids, and had 3 IUIs after moving to Northwest Arkansas.  We even thought about adopting and started the process to become foster parents, but got turned down because our debt to income ratio was too high.  Talk about a stab in the heart.

During the process I became obsessed with wanting to be pregnant that my marriage began to slowly fail.  I questioned God on many things, not just pregnancy, and my relationship with Him was not where it needed to be either.  The desire to be pregnant consumed me.  
There was a pivotal point during this season that I will never forget.  Jordan and were hit with a challenge in our marriage.  I wanted to turn to God, but felt I didn't deserve Him in that moment.  I felt alone.  I remember breaking down and crying for 3 days off and on, and finally just got on my knees and prayed and prayed and prayed...and prayed.  made a decision to put it in His hands.  This was very hard.  There were so many times people would tell me, "If you quit trying, you'll get pregnant!"  I hated hearing that.  It wasn't that easy. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but the moment I truly let go a weight was lifted.  I decided to focus on my relationship with Christ and my marriage.  Those relationships had to be healed before becoming a mother.  That was in November of 2011.

I began getting migraines again, which was something I struggled with in the past if I wasn't on birth control or fertility drugs.  I went to my primary care physician who put me on medicine for migraines, but something that was safe in case I were to become miraculously pregnant on my own.  I was also on birth control during this time, but was to ween off of it.  I stopped taking my migraine medicine and birth control in August 2012.  This made a total of 5 years with no baby.  

October 18th 2012 I found out I was pregnant!  

It was a total surprise, and the best one for sure.  We were very careful the first few days while waiting on bloodwork to confirm our dream.  Of course we couldn't wait a minute after that to tell family.  They were praying for us the whole time, as well as many many many people who followed us during our journey via facebook, friends, co-workers...etc. 

1) What 3 words or emotions best describe your experience with infertility?

Three words/emotions I would use to describe my experience with infertility would probably be soul consuming, exhausting, joyful, overwhelming, grateful...the list could go on.  There are more than three words.

2) What is the most important thing God taught you during that incredibly difficult season in your life?

The most important thing God taught me during that season was that I can't do anything without Him.  There were so many times I wanted things to happen when I wanted them to, I wanted a baby now and wanted to do anything I could to get one.  All I had to do was turn my eyes to Him and he put His plan into work.  I no longer say, "This is my plan, this is what I want to do."  It's much more than that.  I would wait another 5 years for Micah.  He was created for us, and there is no doubt he is our miracle child.

3) What advice/encouragement you can give to women who are currently struggling with infertility?

I strongly encourage anyone who is going through this season in their life to make Jesus first.  TRUST in Him.  Sometimes it feels like he isn't listening.  That the desires of our hearts aren't heard.  THEY ARE.  Keep the faith and our all knowing, powerful, faithful God WILL fulfill the desires of our hearts- in His time.

Thank you so much for sharing, Chandra!  Your story is a great example of God's faithfulness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment