Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I love smoothies!  They make such a delicious, refreshing snack or breakfast ...especially on warm days. To be honest, I am not the best about eating quite as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I probably should, so this is a great way for me to sneak them into my diet! For the past year or so I have been on a "green smoothie" kick.  At first, the thought of putting spinach in it totally freaked me out... but I can honestly tell you that you cannot taste it! Some people put kale in their smoothies instead of spinach, so I did try that and was personally not a fan.  Kale has a stronger taste and I felt like it made my smoothie kind of bitter or something.  But spinach is a winner in my book!  Below I explain my method for making these tasty concoctions.  Feel free to get hooked!  :)




In a blender add:

-1-2 cups frozen fruit (I like to buy mixed fruit varieties.  The kind I used today was strawberry, blueberry & raspberry.  I also really like strawberry, peach, mango and pineapple)
-1 cup milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc. (I use almond milk)
-1 banana 
-1/2 cup greek yogurt or 1 scoop protein powder
-1 tbsp ground flax seed
-However much baby spinach you would like (I usually just fill it to the top). 

Then put on the lid and blend!  I tend to go back and forth between the mix and puree settings to get it all good and smooth.  One thing I have found helps is right after you put the frozen fruit in, run some cold water over it and then pour the water out (holding your hand over it so the fruit does not fall out) and proceed with putting in the other ingredients.  It slightly thaws the fruit just enough to make it easier to blend.  



 


Then pour it in a cup or glass, add a straw and enjoy!  I love sitting on my back deck drinking one of these and relishing some fresh air and quiet time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment